Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Best Memories

As the girls get older, we look ahead to fun adventures to have with them in the future. We already have savings accounts set up for some trips we want to take with them.

This morning I was just thinking about my best memories as a kid. I was listening to a radio show that was discussing the hosts 14 year old son's middle school graduation, and callers were telling the host that his son wasn't likely going to care if the host went to the ceremony. And I think the callers are right.

I have a ton of good memories from childhood. I only have a few from my teen years. Probably because my focus was mostly on boys and being cool (to attract boys?). I totally don't remember if my parents came to my 8th grade graduation. Sorry mom and dad if you did. My best and most cherished memory, though, is when my mom and dad took my sister Becky and I out for dinner (we went to a french place and had fondue) then to a movie (we saw Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves). I don't remember what I wore, I wish I did because it was probably amazingly awful.

I didn't get a lot of solo time with my parents after my younger siblings were born. And certainly not after we moved to Costa Rica when I was 12. We had a sedan - a 5 seater car - for a family of 6. And, since I had no problem being left home alone to pursue my #1 pass time (boys), I often opted out of cramming into the car, allowing the younger sib-set to call the shots on mom and dad's weekend time.

While I can't remember any other time my parents got a sitter so they could take Becky and I out, I guess that's not too horrible of a thing since its such a great memory, seemed like a luxury, and doing it more often might have cheapened the evening.

I've commented about this before, but when James and I learned we were having twins, I decided I would be mindful of spending quality time with each of them. I got to spend a ton of time with just Alex when we went to her bi-weekly helmet appointments together. Recently, I took Josie with me to run an errand while Alex was napping, and we had a super good time. I noticed how much more relaxed I was with just her. Jamey and I usually play point to point defense (you will hear us each call out "I've got Alex" or "I've got Josie!" while we follow them around anywhere outside of our home in our own version of Marco Polo way) but you never fully take your eyes or mind off of both kids.


At the Americana that day, I was following one kid. And because I didn't have to worry about where the other one was, I could let her discover and do what she wanted and take her time doing it. It was liberating and so enjoyable, and while the opportunity seldom arises, I can't wait to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment