Saturday, November 7, 2015

22 month update!

This has been a heck of a week - I was teaching two nights this week and had a huge deposition at work. Friday our nanny Brittany was off because her boyfriend was having his wisdom teeth pulled. So I "worked from home," but ended up bringing the girls into both of our offices for a visit, so didn't get a lot of work done. We ended up taking the girls to lunch near Jamey's work at one of my favorite places - The Farm. They were so cute enjoying their big plates of frites!

Taking a meeting with my boss, Mike.

Getting their TPS reports in order


BIG plate
The girls are definitely making another leap (note that the "Wonder Weeks" that we were following has long ended, so this is based on observation alone!) - they were really cranky the last few weeks and that was always a sign of new things to come. Both of them just sprouted up, too. I had put them in some pants before our vacation to Ottawa, and they were way too long on them. The same pants fit perfectly yesterday! The biggest change we are seeing, though, is in conversation - both of them are talking to us, and trying to use sentences. They are definitely communicating their likes and dislikes, telling us whether they want to wear a toy necklace or that they don't want cereal or they do want more "cannee" (candy). They are also really into pretend-play - whether its making their dolls do things, mothering baby dolls or telling stories to their dolls. Its all very cute, and it has been a pleasure hanging out with them lately and seeing them use their imaginations so much.

A picture before work
In our parent world, we are trying a few new things - lately I notice a lot of "box" subscriptions are en vogue. I decided to jump on the bandwagon for two of them. One is a clothing delivery subscription, like Netflix, I get a box of three clothing items and two accessories (a purse and a bracelet, or a necklace and earrings, etc.) I get to wear them as often as I want, keep them as long as I want, and when done, stick it in a bag (unwashed!) and send it back, then they mail me the next box of stuff. It has been really fun! This week I tailored mine to include a work dress that I could wear teaching, along with a cute jean jacket because it has been chili. What's great about it is that you don't feel the urge to shop as much as you are having variety in your wardrobe. It is also great for someone like me to have more pieces in a size I don't want to buy too much in (you know, because I am "losing weight," more on that later).

Taking a snack break at the park

The other subscription we signed up for is a food delivery service. Its a box that comes full of ingredients for three recipes that make enough for two people. It comes with all of the fresh, whole ingredients, but just enough. So last night the meal was Jerk Chicken, and it came with a small bunch of collared greens, a red onion, a lime, and a plantain to make the side dish, an inch of ginger, and two chicken breasts with a little packet of spices. You follow the provided instructions for prepping the ingredients, cooking and plating and ta-da, you have a dish you would have never tried making otherwise. It takes about an hour to do so if I start while the girls are still up, then we aren't eating too late. They also like to "help" by spinning the salad spinner and I like letting them see and touch the real ingredients, and telling them what they are. Much better than our typical lean cuisine dinner. I've made 4 dishes and only didn't like one of them - though James cleaned his plate for that one, so who knows. We also feel like we are more satisfied from these meals, likely because they are all whole ingredients and not frozen fare. And clean up isn't too bad because you don't have any leftovers to manage.

Jerk Chicken with Fried Plantain and Collared Greens

Steak with Apple Hash and Grilled Butternut Squash (AMAZING)

Korean BBQ Chicken Wings and Bok Choy Rice Cakes

Pork Meat Ball Lettuce Wraps and Rice (Also amazing)
I'm going running this morning. It has been about 8 months since I last ran. I signed up for the 5K I do every year on Thanksgiving so its time to get ready for it. My weight loss has been stagnant for a few months but at least it hasn't reversed. And I am hoping to lose a few more pounds before the girls' second birthday - something about their age reminding me how long it has taken to lose the weight is dejecting. Not that I am in any way unhappy with how I look - actually I have felt very strong, confident and happy with the way I look lately. So I do wonder, is a number on a scale such a big deal if I feel so good about myself, as is? I don't know. And it certainly seems like others seem to care. But I do know that I have been happy going back to Curves the last few months and I will be happy to go for a run this morning, and exercise IS good for your health even if it doesn't change the number on the scale. So off I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment