Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Matchy Matchy and Coordinated

It has been a brain heavy day at work, so taking a quick break to clear my mind. 

I recently came across the blog of a dad who has triplet girls (not identical/fertility treatments) and a 4th (surprise!) girl born just two years later. I noticed many many photos of the girls all wearing the exact same thing or wearing coordinated outfits (like, same dress, different color). Before I go on, let me say I am still not into matching outfits - I just don't think its cool or fair. That said, let me tell you about the joys of coordinated outfits. 
No coordinating dress? Nope!

MIX N MATCH?? Yes please!
When you get two girls up in the morning, you have to think about what you are doing that day. Let's say we are hitting the park with friends - so you need the girls to look nice and presentable, so you look like you are decent parents, and preferably in unstained clothing, again, since other people are involved. The outfits need to be temperature based, so lately in our cool shade and hot sun, that means shoes, socks, pants, short sleeves and light sweater. Now try putting that together for two people AND avoid having one in an obviously nicer/warmer/hipper/more desirable outfit. Its kind of the worst. 
Multiple color options? YES!


Alex and Josie rocking some coordinated pieces!


Another example: You are going to a casual birthday party. You need two dresses for two girls that fit the temperature (let's say, high 80s, so warm). So you somehow need to pick two dresses that are of equal fanciness (i.e. not an Easter dress and a strappy beach sundress) AND equally cool to accommodate the weather, all without matching. If you had one kid, you could totally get away with either the Easter dress or sundress, but now you have two kids, so who do you pick to put in the more casual sundress? SEE MY DILEMMA?!?! While again, I am not a fan of matchy matchy, I am learning to become more of a fan of coordinated. I especially love clothing stores that have each item in two colors. And even better, mix and match items so we can get a few pants and tops that all go decently well together. James and I practically buy out the store when we find a good collection of Mix n Match items. 

More matchy than even I am used to, but these
were a hand me down from another twin mom. 
Also: adorable.

A rare time when outfits from different brands lend themselves
to coordinating - both cute, with a matching top, with warm pants and t-shirt
I actually gave myself a pat on the back the day I picked these outfits.

Same sweater in different patterns, same pants in different patterns.
Each wearing  a Star Wars t-shirt because 
who should have to go without?
Not the cutest outfits they have ever worn, but 
at least they clash equally - lol.

Finally, let's talk about where I do give in: shoes, jackets, Halloween costumes. Forget it with shoes - once I find a pair that works, if it only comes in one cute color, then they both get that shoe. Right now they have a few pairs that are different colors, then a pair that match. Jackets - I am certainly not going to break my back trying to find a jacket that is of the same quality and warmth and as cute as one I have already found. And finally, with the Halloween costumes, until they decide what they want to be, I am not going to be the one who decides who gets to be one thing over the other - how am I to know what will be considered the cooler costume later down the road? (To be fair, I did intend to put the girls in different colored bottoms for the owl costumes, but it was too hot for bottoms!)

So much for my short observation!


Gap sweaters gifted a year apart, different pants but both 
stretchy leggings style, matching shoes.


And how cute are they together? 

No comments:

Post a Comment