Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Mid Week Update

As I keep posting about, I have been sick with a cold FOREVER, and by forever, I mean at least 5 weeks. I think maybe at one point it was the flu? Who knows. Anyway, aside from some coughing here and there, I am turning the corner on this. But I still don't see myself hitting the gym in the next few days - I am still so tired and sleeping so much to try to recover. Maybe in a week or two.



That said, I really do need to get back on the wagon as far as diet and exercise go. It wasn't the worst holiday pudge season but I still have about 15 lbs of baby weight to lose and I would actually like to lose it!

Which leads me to my next thought. For a long time it has been a habit of mine to come home and microwave a lean cuisine or can of soup for dinner. So when people told me that its time for the girls to eat what I eat, I was at a loss. So, my New Year's resolution is to cook more family friendly meals. Dinner meals that, if they happened early enough in the day, could be shared with the girls, or the leftovers could be lunch for them the next day. I am trying to do one family friendly home cooked meal a week.

Sporting her cute dress from Gramma
 



And Alex in her pretty dress from Gramma
The girls playing with their birthday gift toys from their cousins Olivia, Annabelle and Joelle

So far I have been sticking to the plan. I've made a pretty good meatloaf, some pastas, and chicken. I have also been experimenting with different recipes and foods for the girls, and made them some mini sweet potato muffins and broccoli cheese bites as snacks, which everyone in the family is loving. 
My new mini muffin pan!
With the girls, we are now on a journey to ditch the bottles and transition to all food for meals. In the past, James and I each sat across from a baby and fed them their pureed foods. But the goal of moving away from bottles and towards real food is to eat all together as a family, which has been really funny. The long weekend was a good opportunity to sit together for most meals, and we've been having breakfast all together every day. Apparently this activity helps them learn to eat and grow a responsible relationship with food.


I can't say I even remember the last time I was in the habit of sitting down to eat breakfast at the table. But it is really a nice way to say good morning to the family and to catch up with James. This morning we all had waffles and pear. Yesterday, we all had mini muffins, yogurt and cereal. The girls aren't using utensils and aren't totally the best at feeding themselves but I do already see an improvement, even over just a few days.


This wall somehow lasted almost an hour without destruction!
Josie is really funny and holds food in both of her hands and takes bites from each. Alex likes to put whole pieces in her mouth at once, so we have to break hers up for her. She also likes using utensils but isn't sure how to use them and just moves food around with a spoon then puts it in her mouth.

We have one can of formula left and I can't wait to ditch it. We have almost totally replaced bottles with sippy cups and formula with milk. The only issue we still have is that Josie does not like her milk cold. Josie gets so upset by cold milk, she cries in hysterical disappointment and her face looks like someone just told her the world ran out of chocolate, rainbows and puppies.


Josie racing around despite not feeling so hot.
Speaking of Josie - she is the last of us to have this cold. After weeks of scaring us with her constant cough and runny nose, she really seemed a lot better this morning, and has her color back. Maybe everyone will stay healthy for at least a few days! hah!

No comments:

Post a Comment