Sunday, January 12, 2014

One week with the little ladies!

It has been one week since these little ladies came into our lives. I had no idea how James and I would be as parents. I was nervous I wouldn't have a bond with the babies, since I didn't really feel a maternal bond while pregnant - let's face it, pregnant with twins is not great, and my goal was to just get through as many weeks as possible to have healthy babies.

I myself can't even stand how much I love these little ladies! They are over the top adorable and awesome and each very special in their own way.

James is AMAZING. I don't know what I expected, but he's taken to this task as he has every other hobby he is interested in - with passion and full attention to detail. He is just the best and greatest partner anyone could ask for - while I do endless feedings and pumping, he is handling late night bottles so I can sleep, most of the diaper changes and burps, and has really taken the lead in handling the girls. For example, tonight he suggested we move the girls to their bedroom and their cribs, and the girls are doing brilliantly!! They slept 3 hours for him, and hopefully will sleep another 3 hours for me and I can get in another quick nap!

Dad and his girls 1/11/14 - wild Saturday night!
Speaking of being little ladies, here are some of the adorable lady like things they have been up to: They cross their little feet and they love having their lips wiped after a feeding, so much so that Josie actually grabbed the burp cloth and wiped her own lips during one of her feedings last night.

1/7/14 - seems to be a nightly ritual
1/10/14 Wild Friday night!
We all went to the Dr. on Friday. Josie was not up as much weight as they would have liked, but we are working on stuffing her with formula (and to be fair, she was owed a feeding AND had a huge poop right before her weigh in - seriously girlfriend this is not ANTM). Lexie was up 2 ounces and that made the nurse very happy, so we will continue on with what we are doing with her.

Lexie, our little girl, eats like a champion. I can walk around with her while feeding and she is great at twilight feeds (not waking up to eat in the middle of the night). Josie HATES to eat.  She shakes her head and will latch but then shake her head again, and push bottles out of her mouth with her hands. (Really, this is not ANTM, you have to eat girl!) So next Wednesday, her and I will be going to a lactation class and I hope we can figure out our issues. (She does have SOME very good feedings with quick latches and good take in, which is why her occasional refusal to eat is hard to figure out).

My doctor appointment was not as great - my blood pressure was 170/107!!!! WHAT?!?! I have always had amazingly low blood pressure, and even during the pregnancy, up until delivery, had great blood pressure. So this is not typical for me. Out of concern, I was put on blood pressure medication and it is working wonders (at least, I personally feel better). I've also had some ridiculous swelling, which is now finally going away.  Apparently, while not common, this is all normal. He told me to go for a long walk, which we satisfied by going to Target and parking far from the entrance...this was the most walking I had done in months, and it was HOT out, I felt like I was melting!


Testing out the new ride in Target
Other than the blood pressure, I feel AMAZING - I haven't felt this good since about 8 weeks pregnant. My c-section cut is healing really well, I can bend over with no problem (!!) and have even been able to sit up using my abdomen muscles the last two days.  I can stand on my feet for extended amounts of time, which I hadn't been able to do for months. My heartburn is totally gone, and has been the moment I gave birth.  Very happy to have my body back :)

No comments:

Post a Comment