Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Starting to Forget

Everyone told us to sleep in the hospital while the nurses took care of the girls. First off, that was impossible - they come and bother you every 20 minutes to poke and prod at you, your children, at the monitors in your room, and anything else they can come up with an excuse to poke and prod. Second, I didn't want to sleep, I just wanted to stare at our new babies. I just stared and stared at them. I made a mental picture of their little faces poking out of their burrito wrap swaddles.

Today Josie smiled and coo'ed - it was the first time she really, no doubt, socially smiled and made intentional noises of happiness. We've also noticed she's getting bigger and filling in. I was cuddling with the girls and holding them tight today and realizing that the mental picture I took of them in our hospital room, room 1414 (also their birth date), is fading. Those little tiny faces. Lexie's little "oooh" expression, her wrinkled brow, Josie's scrunchy face, the red birth mark on her nose, how fragile and tiny they were to hold. I couldn't hold them! They were too small! I felt like they would break in my hands. Their diapers were bigger than their bodies!

I love love love the girls now. I love their little personalities, I love their strong necks and kicky legs, their laughs and smiles. But I am glad I didn't sleep.

Josie
(who has somehow lost the ability to suck her fingers,
wish she would, so we could  stop having to replace her pacifier!!)

Alexandra

Josie

Lexie

Josie on the left, Alex on the right
Josie on the left, Alex on the right

No comments:

Post a Comment